Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In and Around Town

The more time I spend in Nanaimo, the more I enjoy what the city has to offer. There are some pretty great spots really close by to our place. Winter is also a good time to stick closer to home. This year we've managed to have lots of fun adventures without much travel.

Buttertubs Marsh

Buttertubs Marsh is a perennial favorite with us. It is a great wetland nearby and is protected as a conservation area. Great place to birdwatch.

Views of Mt. Benson from Buttertubs



Bowen Park

For how close it is, I always think I should spend more time at Bowen Park. In the fall I did a bit of running through the trails there, and it also a good way to get over to Buttertubs. The Millstone River, which is drains most of the area around Nanaimo, runs right though the park. We were able to have a visit after one of the big storms this past fall, and the river was running quite high.

The Millstone River running near it's average annual flood level.

Exploring Bowen Park with GrannyPoppy


Goldstream Park

OK, not really in Nanaimo, but I had the kids by myself for the whole weekend (a first!) and we headed down for the day.


Was trying to share my enthusiasm with the kids about the rotting salmon. It was pleasantly stinky.

Trumpeter Swans at the base of Mt. Sicker


Neck Point

Another spot close by, right next to Piper's Lagoon. Although we prefer Piper's Lagoon we occasionally make it to Neck Point. It is our prime location for picking Blackberries in the summer. In the winter, we figured it would be a good spot to pick up seaweed for the garden.



Jack Point

Given that it is right next to a ferry terminal, the thin buffer makes it feel like you a little more isolated. It is a pretty nice spot to look out over to town, Protection Island and Gabriola. I also like the weathered sandstone.





Ammonite Falls

Tucked up against Mt. Benson, Ammonite Falls is a little elusive. Took a couple of tries before I found my way there. Named for the fossils, but I haven't been in low enough flow that I have wanted to get up an explore the cliff where the are. Recently rappelling down the falls (right down the middle!) seems to be a favorite past-time of some of the younger climbers in town.



Nanaimo Harbourfront

The family was away for a couple of weeks up in the Okanagan. I got into a great routine of heading out for a walk along the seawall along Nanaimo's harbourfront after dinner every night. It is less than 1 km from our place to the water, but it seems like we don't make it down there very often. I like that it is a real hub of activity: boats cruising around, water taxis ferrying over to Protection Island, 3 different BC ferry routes, floatplanes, and general bustle. Also great wildlife-usually see lots of Blue Herons, seals, otters.




Spring has sprung


Frank Ney. Former mayor (not that long ago) which brought such delights to Nanaimo as the bathtub races and endless strip malls. He also liked to dress up like a pirate.


The Bastion. Oldest building in town (built in 1853) was built as a Hudson Bay outpost

Swy-a-lana Lagoon


Old City

Nanaimo has some interesting artwork. At the Library.

1 comment:

  1. I love the local shots. I think little local adventures are just as important as the occasional big one. Thank god for greenspaces.

    ReplyDelete