Thursday, January 6, 2011

Pipers Lagoon Scrambling

Piper's Lagoon is undoubtably one of the best assets of Nanaimo. With some time to spare on a beautifull sunny Sunday I decided to head to the Lagoon for a bit of "urban" scrambling. The outer rim of the lagoon is lined with bluffs which make for some great sea-side rockclimbing. There are even a few bolted routes and I've seen at least one group using the area as a top-rope practice spot.

Views out across the Salish Sea
Lighthouse outside of Departure Bay and Newcastle Island. If you look hard you can see Mt Baker


The "crux" section of the traverse. It was cold enough that this north-facing stuff had some icy bits on it.

Beautiful arete climb. I was about half-way up it when I noticed that is was actually a bolted climb. There is a pretty classic ridge traverse from here to the top of the main cliffs. Felt like being in the mountains!




Shack Island

2 comments:

  1. As usual, I love discovering the island through your adventures and beautiful photos. I always wonder why I'm not living on the coast after looking at your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing that Pipers Lagoon is just minutes away from the hustle and bustle of the city. I'm glad you introduced it to us ... it is one of Nanaimo's lovlier faces!

    ReplyDelete