Friday, June 5, 2009

Island Rambling Part 3: Springer Peak

After great climbs on Saturday and Sunday, I took advantage to do a quick "after-work" climb on my way up-Island to Port McNeill. I have signed up for th Kusam Klimb later this month, and thought I would give the trail a dry run to check it out, and also for a bit of training.

Looking up from the trailhead up Springer Peak. The Kusam trail was built by a local named Bill West-Sells and is affectionately known as "Bill's" trail. About 6 years ago, Sayward starting running an adventure race up Bill's trail, and then down the backside of the mountain, for a total distance of 23 km and 5000ft elevation gain. While I was doing the hike I bumped in to Bill who was doing some preparations for this year's race in a few weeks.

Looking down into Johnstone Straight.

Mount H'Kusam

Mount Victoria

Looking down into Sayward and the Salmon River



Hard to see on the photo, but looking off to Mount Waddington on the mainland coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment